Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tile time

So our budget for tile in the bathroom is... minimal. At best. Which is unfortunate because a) tile is crazy expensive and b) apparently a crucial opportunity to show everyone how much money you have. I'm more broken up about the first part because hello, I have a small child and I'm looking for something that can handle a wide range of bodily fluids. Also, conspicuous consumption is not my bag. I want it to look nice but not like we spent anyone's college tuition on it. (I'm spending that tuition on eradicating knob and tube, thanks very much.) Judging from the reactions of tile sales people this makes me an unusual tile customer. I guess most of their customers aren't walking in and asking for the cheapest tile in the store, maybe? At any rate, I'm tired of being looked down upon by snooty sales people. Thankfully there are still a variety of options in our price range thanks to the good folks at ye olde depot de home. 

Option 1: octagon and dot floor tile with a 3x6 subway tile on the wall. It's a classic for a reason. (Hex tile runs more than twice the cost of the octagon and dot. Sorry, hex tile.)

Option 2: a 6x8 wall tile gives a more modern feel


Option 3: 6x6 tiles could be a modern look that still plays nicely with our historic home in a diamond pattern

Option 4: 4x4s are very budget friendly and can be brick or diamond patterned. Our dearly departed homeowner loved her some 4x4 tile, which biases me against it, I think. I pulled too much of it out of my cleavage.

I've already ruled out option 5, but you can take a peek anyway:
Marble patterning on the floor tile gives visual interest and is a budget friendly alternative to real stone. I like the matte finish of the octagon and dot tile better so that is why it got ruled out.

Personally, I'm kind of leaning towards option 2, but I have a few days to make up my mind. 

If you want to check this out for yourself just go to Home Depot and ask for the Daltile. (American Olean is the equivalent brand at Lowe's.) It's a nicer way of saying 'I want the cheapest possible option, thanks'. 

1 comment: