Saturday, May 11, 2013

Party Dumpster


The party carpet is no more. Hallelujah! Despite the protests of a vocal minority I feel 100% better now that its out of the house. Given the water stains on the underside, I'm a little concerned about the floors. They are still under the carpet pad to protect them while we do some demo in the upstairs bathroom and open up the wall between the kitchen and dining room. So I haven't seen them yet. Carpet removal is my favorite demo project because it makes the house look better immediately. The floors still need work of course, but it is super gratifying to pull out the nasty, smelly, filthy carpet and reveal the hardwoods. It's like opening a present! A present that gives me hives when I unwrap it. Alas.

Demo is surprisingly difficult to photograph because there is so much dust in the air. See also, covered in filth and disgusting and exhausted. I took the camera today but only got these two shots on my phone because of the aforementioned factors. 

The Mr rented a jackhammer for the weekend. He busted out the floor and the plumbing in the upstairs bathroom today. The ceiling is still in pending the whole house re-wire which is now a certainty. But the basement is very near completion and we are on dumpster #3, so we are making good progress all around. Which is good because we can only take another few days of this manual labor before we seriously start falling apart. I am so tired that I am walking into walls and tonight I caught my heel in the screen door and have a 2" gash down the back of my heel. Hives and Crocs with a cap and gown is a classic look for graduation, right?

Thursday night the Mr and I loaded dumpster #2 until nearly midnight in a driving rain. Not the kind of romantic evenings I envisioned spending in this house, but it won't last too much longer. I will be overseeing some contractors next week, getting a few more bids and continuing to work on floors and walls. I may have found two excellent candidates for the living room paint color, which will be used in different ways throughout the house. Hopefully I will get to put some samples up soon, because the paint really keeps me motivated. Whatever it takes, right? 


This lovely robins egg blue was lurking under the cabinet on the wall between the living and dining room. Makes me feel like I'm really tuned into the history of the house with all my plans for aqua. This is the wall that will be opened up so of course it can't stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment