Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Day One Progress Report

God bless you, dearly departed homeowner. God bless you for buying the expensive wallpaper. God bless you for priming the walls before it was applied. God bless you.

I have about 90% of the wallpaper in the house removed. And this house was papered. It came off in full sheets in my hands. I used no tools. My nails are all still present and accounted for.

Lest you think I've been inhaling some sort of toxic gas and hallucinating, we made a short (and apparently hilarious?) video to demonstrate:


This was actually one of the more 'challenging' wallpapers in the entire house, because it was more paper and less fabric underneath and was tearing horizontally. Most of the floors are covered in entire sheets of paper. Like so: 

Did I do that? 


My back and feet tell me that I did. 

So in addition to winning the wallpaper lottery today, I also unearthed this little gem: 

Also known as the gorgeous hardwood floors in my bedroom. Score. 

This is the worst thing that happened today:

Oh wait. That's the wall I'm going to open up anyway. Looking at the state of the wall, we may end up removing it entirely now. Either way. It's cool. 

I also got the water and gas turned on and the utilities switched over to our name. We met the next door neighbors to the north, who don't live in that house but come down randomly every few weeks to mow and stuff, so we were able to have a fence discussion much earlier than anticipated. We had two other contractors out to bid today and are looking forward to their numbers soon. I will call and order the dumpster for the demolition party tomorrow, it will be dropped on Friday and the sledgehammers attack on Saturday. Depending on my discussion with the mold guy, we may have all the carpets and wallpaper down by Saturday as well. 

Am I crazy or are things going really well over here? Don't get too excited. It won't last. 

The armadillo and I meet with the mold remediation dude at 9 am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment