Saturday, April 27, 2013

Stairway to Heaven

Some people love kitchens. Some people love bathrooms. I love stairs. I really wanted (didn't need, but fervently hoped for) a fantastic stairway in the house. So imagine my thrill of hope when this was the visual that greeted me from the front door:


How groovy is that wallpaper? It continues up the stairs and on the landing. 

We're hopeful that the original treads are in good shape under the carpet, but we'll have to wait and see. We plan to replace the original glass in the window with something safer. 

We have no plans to sand and stain the banisters. I love the character that hands have left on the wood over the past century. Cleaning and sealing is the plan.

Awesome light fixture at the bottom of the stairs. On the back side of the door there is a beautiful inlaid mirror. Contemplating swapping it out for one of the master suite doors so I can use it every day. 

1 comment:

  1. I’m all for leaving the banister as is. We did the same. It isn't quite “beautiful”, but does have character. It is also wicked expensive!

    ReplyDelete