Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Green kitchen

This past Saturday the Mr. and our dear friend Andrew (who is becoming infinitely more dear with every offer to lift heavy objects and destroy things) were able to take down all the upper cabinets and all the ceiling tile in the kitchen. And it was green! So green! 

How the armadillo has made it this long, no one can say. 
He is at least partially shattered glass. It won't last forever. 

The piece of plastic to your left in this picture is the piece of plastic keeping the ceiling up. You can sort of see where the bathroom damage peters out there in the middle of the ceiling. Fortunately (or not?) for Andrew, his back met its limit before the ceiling started to come down and so our kitchen is like this. Just sort of... hanging out. Which delighted the Kid no end when we stopped by a few days later. I managed to resist the urge to immediately douse him in a vat of  hand sanitizer. 

Barely. 


Thank you so much for your help, Andrew!

Today we hired some guys to take down the copper and put up aluminum gutters, which is sad and yet also the only practical option. So hopefully that will happen in the next few weeks. The masons continue to hammer and chip and mortar away, and we've been getting bids back on the electrical and plumbing. Sadly they seem to think that they are in a contest to be the most expensive bid ever, so we're grappling with the budget and if and where we might economize. Still no offers on our other house, which is good in the sense that we have a place to live and aren't in the middle of filthy chaos (see above), bad in the sense that our dollars are limited and we have no idea how much we can put off on the expectation of selling. Also bad in the sense that the Kid and I have been sick for the past week with fevers and coughs, I took (and passed!) my boards which was straight up psychological trauma, and then on top of those things we have to rearrange our schedules and frantically clean for showings... I've had more pleasant summers, is what I'm saying. 

The Kid has a big birthday party this weekend and then I will be focused on the house full time until I start work on July 15. It sounded like it was going to be plenty of time, but now seems like nearly no time at all. Then again, until we get the plumbers and electricians in, there isn't a whole lot I can do inside. I'm pretty short so the kitchen ceiling isn't very realistic for me to tackle by myself. I'm getting my hands on a paint sprayer this week and I will probably set up cabinet painting central inside the garage next week. We've ordered a dehumidifier for the basement but right now it's way too humid to make painting work down there. It would be a lot cooler, though... 

No comments:

Post a Comment